After a lot of thought I have decided to move some of best of my old posts from Aging Runnah and A Runnah’s Story blogs, primarily the old reviews, maybe a few of the better posts and race reports that I have written over the years. I have a feeling that at some point, my WordPress.com blogs are simply going to go away and I want to still be able to go back and read some of the stuff I wrote.
If you are reading this blog post, that is why it is has been re-posted here.
Originally posted on: March 20, 2013
Today's run - well to be honest, I almost bagged it and didn't really want to do it. I was tired and sore from this morning and just wanted to take a nap.
We got that snow storm yesterday and it dumped almost a foot of new snow in the yard, which meant a lot of clean-up, plus I do another driveway up in Waterville, so I had to get up at oh dark 30 - in other words 4:30 AM. because she had to be to work at 7:15 AM.
After I got all my driveway snowblowing and snow shoveling chores done - I was totally beat! That stuff is hard freakin work and the new snowblower feels like it weighs about 100 pounds more than the old one, so that toasted those chicken wings that I claim are my arms.
However, I did decide to go and just listen to my body and do what it felt like.
Here the particulars of this treadmill workout:
- 0.5 mile @ 6.6 mph - warm-up
- 0.5 mile @ 7.3 mph - warm-up
- 1.0 mile @ 7.5 mph - warm-up
- 0.17 mile @ 9.1 mph - My music player messed-up so I stopped, fixed that and started over
When I started over, it was starting from complete stop, so I had to wait for the treadmill to get up to 9.1 mph, which added about 15-20 seconds on to my final time, but it really doesn't make that big a difference.
I got to thinking that haven't done a 5K time trial for quite on the treddy and surprisingly I was feeling really good, so I thought let's go for it and if I feel really bad, I could just slow down and do what the body wants, I could use this as my longer tempo run, just a little faster than the 7:30 pace I have been practicing at.
- 1.25 miles @ 9.1 mph - I felt great, so I decided to do a race pace 5K tempo run
- 0.75 miles @ 9.3 mph - still feeling GREAT
- 0.50 miles @ 9.5 mph - form still good, not wheezing yet
- 0.10 mile @ 9.6 mph - getting daring, but form still good
- 0.10 mile @ 9.7 mph
- 0.10 mile @ 9.8 mph
- 0.10 mile @ 9.9 mph - asking myself what to F%#, I am trying to prove
- 0.10 mile @ 10.0 mph - starting to suck wind really bad, but form is still there
- 0.10 mile @ 10.1 mph - this last .10 sucked - BAD, but was still able to maintain my form all the way to the end!!!
5K total time 19:59
This is a new Treadmill PR for a 5K!!!!
I was VERY psyched that I did break 20:00 minutes for a 5K, no it wasn't outside or in a race, so it is very unofficial, but I did it. This has been a goal I have been chasing since coming back from my injury. Now to do it in a race and I will be happy!
I knew that I was close to breaking 20:00 and didn't want to slow down or affect my form that last .10 to take out my phone, just to take a photo at 3.1 miles to show the actual time, but I got it pretty close after I finished.
However, the workout wasn't over.
Mileage total so far - 5.27 miles
- .10 mile @ 3.3 mph - I needed to breath again ;-)
- .30 mile @ 6.6 mph
- .50 mile @ 9.1 mph - Yes I got back up to a fast pace again - 1.0
- .25 mile @ 6.6 mph
- .50 mile @ 9.1 mph
- .25 mile @ 6.6 mph - 2.0
- .50 mile @ 9.1 mph
- .25 mile @ 6.6 mph
- .25 mile @ 9.5 mph
- 1.0 mile @ 6.6 mph cool-down
Total workout: 9.0 miles
Plus .5 mile walk at the end.
This was a TOUGH workout. I was very surprised, that I was able to do and even more shocked that I broke 20:00 minutes for a 5K on the treadmill today! Then to be able to do the rest of this workout was totally unexpected.
I just hope that I am not leaving my racing on the treadmill, but I don't think so, at least I hope not. Which shoes did I wear - my Mizuno Ronin 4's. They are still my "Go Fast" shoes, but they did start to bother my right foot a little after about 6.5 miles, so they are great 5K or 10K shoes for me.