After a lot of thought and consideration -- I have decided to retire One Foot in Reality and leave it as an Archive. I will still monitor it to keep the trolls at bay, but will not be posting here any longer.

If you are looking for my new posts, please go to www.haroldlshaw.com .

Thank you for all they years of following One Foot In Reality.


Saturday, July 4, 2015

Friends on the Fourth 5K Race Recap - 7/4/15

After a lot of thought I have decided to move some of best of my old posts from Aging Runnah and A Runnah’s Story blogs, primarily the old reviews, maybe a few of the better posts and race reports that I have written over the years. I have a feeling that at some point, my WordPress.com blogs are simply going to go away and I want to still be able to go back and read some of the stuff I wrote.

If you are reading this blog post, that is why it is has been re-posted here.

Originally posted on: July 4, 2015

Okay, I didn't quite meet my goal time of sub 22:00 minutes for the 5K, but that is okay, I made it to the end of the race without embarrassing myself and made it to one of those wonderful blue boxes very quickly after crossing the finish line.

MMMMM Harold what happened?

Weeeellllll it is a matter of two runs.

Start to about mile 1.8 - which was going extremely well, I was keeping pace behind Amy L. and thought that I could keep up with her the rest of the race.

After that - You will notice a sudden steep slow-down in my pace. It was clench tightly or have a really embarrassing mess to clean up, I thought quickly about letting go, butttt well that is just too gross and I decided to slow-down, keep the cheeks together and just finish. Although I almost did a quick pit stop when we went by the starting area - probably should have, but shoulda, coulda, woulda - well you know.
Strava Stats 5K Race

Let's back up and figure out what happened. There is a little too much information in this section, so skip to the next part if you want.

Problems before the Race

There was this major problem before I even left the house, 3 bm's in less than 45 minutes. Then rushing to a blue box immediately upon arrival (not even stopping to pick up my packet), then rushing back to the blue box right after going through registration. It was getting a bit tiring all this looking at the inside of the port-a-pottie. Finally, I thought I had gotten as much out as there was in there and tried to relax the last 10 minutes before the start.

No it wasn't pre-race anxiety, nerves or anything like that...I slept good last night, woke up before the alarm, bright and alert, plus when I got home both Mary and SD1 had had a case of the trots too. So it was a bug going around the house, because we all ate different stuff last night. Don't know what it was, but it sure made my pre-race routine pretty miserable and the race itself not quite what I planned.

I guess I should have known that there were going to be issues when the race volunteers had me park in the Funeral Home parking lot - hehehehe

Where I had to park

The Race Starts

10 Minutes, no needing to escape to the port-a-pottie.

So I had hoped that I gotten everything out in time and that during the race I would be fine.

It was a pretty big race (611 participants) and I was back a ways on the starting line, so the first bit was the usual jostling around, weaving around the slower runners who were up front and then finally being able to open up a little as the pack opened up.

I saw Amy L. up ahead of me, while we were going down the hill on Main Street and I sped up a little to catch up to her and then tucked in behind her. I had planned to stay there for the rest of the race. She is faster than I am and I was going to use her as my pacer, without her knowing it. The plan was working great and I was running comfortably, with plenty in the tank until around mile 1.8 and then it fell apart.

The Cramping

It was just as sudden as that steep drop in pace indicates. That feeling you get when you "know" that you have to go "2" and with 500-600 other people around you also know it ain't gonna happen. Then when you don't stop running, the cramping and feeling like this ain't gonna be good takes over priorities and the need for speed - well becomes much less important.

Running faster with a clenched sphincter muscle just ain't fun or conducive to running very well.

Every so often, things seemed to ease and I could relax and attempt to run a little quicker again, then the cramping and "that wonderful feeling" would return slowing me back down again.

Not an even pace by any stretch of the imagination over that last 1.3, but I finished.

Photo of the finish I took before the race started

I stopped long enough at the finish for them to get my chip and then I scurried to the blue box. Made it...barely...sat and contemplated the ills of the world and the unfairness of it all, while I sat in there. 

Yeah, in the moment I was pretty damn disappointed with my time, because I should have done better and it wasn't because I bonked or gave up, it was because of something going on inside me that slowed me down. 

So yeah, I was a little frustrated with my performance.

Well the good thing is that I am a few pounds lighter than I have been for a while, but all those BM's also dehydrated me a more than a little, so I think that I would have struggled that last mile or so and not have been able to keep up with Amy, but I would have broken 22:00 which was my primary goal.
How did I do?

Well actually, I did pretty good. Considering the circumstances, I was very pleased with my time (not too worried about place in a race that big)
Friends on the Fourth 5K results courtesy of RunSignUp.com

Even with all the issues this morning, I just missed breaking the 22:00 minute barrier. Because it seems like it has become a barrier that is becoming more difficult to get through.

I got to wondering, when was the last time that I broke 22:00 for a 5K?
21:24 in April 2013 at the Joseph's 5K (my post 55 PR). So while I was disappointed at not going under 22:00 today, it was still a pretty successful run in the overall picture and shows me that I can still do okay, while I still have a lot of work to do.

Now to just get that last mile back in line with the other two and I will be pretty happy.

I finished 8th in my 55-59 age group and 74/611, although the certificate kind of screwed up on the age group and gender.
Friends on the Fourth Race photo

I didn't take too many photos today, just wasn't feeling like it for some reason or other. The race itself is a great race, they do a fantastic job of treating the runners right and the course is pretty decent. You can run a fast time on it, although there are some deceptive little bumps in it, but nothing major. I will be back to do it again next year.

Bennie Run

After I got home and had to visit the bathroom one more time, yeah something was getting a bit tender back there...I knew that Bennie hadn't had his long walk yet, so I took him on an easy 3.0 miles.

No biggie just something to loosen up the legs and whatever was going on didn't bother me the rest of the day???? So who know what is going on with my body, but all I know is that it wasn't a very fun experience this morning. :-)

The trials and tribulations of running and doing what we consider fun to ourselves. Right???? hehhehe

0 Click Here to Comment:

Post a Comment

I moderate all comments and I apologize for using word verification, but the spam levels are ridiculous if I do not.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.