After a lot of thought and consideration -- I have decided to retire One Foot in Reality and leave it as an Archive. I will still monitor it to keep the trolls at bay, but will not be posting here any longer.

If you are looking for my new posts, please go to www.haroldlshaw.com .

Thank you for all they years of following One Foot In Reality.


Thursday, January 14, 2016

Not Today Harold - RunLog 1-14-16

This post was written for and first appeared on One Foot In Reality.

Yeah, it was one of THOSE days.

Great photo, but just about right, considering ho I feel tonight ;-)
I did get in a couple miles on the treadmill after work, but even those were indicative of the rest of my day.

Let's start this out again.

First, it was just a bit too cold for Bennie to run, I don't like to run with him with the temps under 15*F, especially when the roads are coated in salt (it hurts his feet and you get a gimpy, limpy dog) and down-back is a bit too nasty for running with dawg attached to you. He walked only about a quarter mile down the road and decided it was too cold and headed back to the house.

Since I won't be doing a long-run outside this weekend (there is a good storm predicted for Saturday and Sunday is my running club's 4.5 mile race at 10:00, I figured it would be a great day to head down to Planet Fitness to do at least an hour on the treadmill.

However, when I checked my bag, my shampoo bottle was gone, so I must have left it at the gym the last time. I thought I had plenty of time, so I stopped at Wally World to get some shampoo and a couple of other little things, I putzed around looking for stuff and wasted about 30 minutes in there.

On the way back the truck - I suddenly realized that I was supposed to be to work an hour earlier today. Oh crap! If I had realized that I would have gone straight to the gym, instead I hustled over to UMA's fitness center, jumped in the shower and got ready for work.

Yes, I made it on time, with time to spare, but I hate rushing around like that.

Work...well let's just say it was a good day and not say much else about it. There was a lot going on and most of it positive, but a lot of "not today" was in the mix too.

All that stuff meant that I really needed to stop at the gym and do that hour on the treadmill.

MMMM as you already know that didn't happen. I got on and set it for 7.5 mph (about an 8:00 minute pace), which felt really comfortable until about .80 in and then I had to hang on to get to the 1.0 mile, when I promptly hopped off and hauled ass to the men's locker room. I came out a bit lighter and green around the gills.

Yeah, I got back on the treadmill and started running again at 7.6 mph and was feeling pretty good. However about .5 into it my back began to tighten up a little. Which didn't surprise me after wrestling with the snowblower for a couple of hours yesterday. So that combination and the green around the gills feeling, just took the starch right out of me and by the time I got 2.0 finished - I was done, well done.

Some days you just gotta know when to say when and today that was it for me.

Luckily when I got home we were having one of my favorite meals Bacon (yes, I do love bacon, even if it is nasty, yechy and so damn unhealthy to eat) Lettuce and Cheese sandwiches. So while that wasn't the healthiest meal, it tasted great. I guess the fresh oj and homemade Rhubarb cordial balanced it out.

Then we got talking and unfortunately, I got to go out and finish roof raking the garage that the wife had started this afternoon - she thought she would do it all, but had forgotten how much snow there really is with almost a foot of powder on the roof and how hard it is to handle a 16 foot roof rake. She is about 5'2 and maybe 110 pounds, but stubborn, even so that took a lot out her to get down what she did.

Yeah, the shoulder is a little sore, but not too bad and with the storm coming Saturday with a combo of rain, sleet and snow, we had to get the stuff from the last storm off the garage roof. The house has a metal roof so if it gets wet, it will just slide off better. On the roof it just creates a hard crust, weighs a ton and people wonder why their garage ends up looks like a pile of kindling, when they don't keep the roof cleaned off.

Yep it was just one of those days, where I was more like Sisiphus pushing that rock up the hill and never quite getting halfway up before it rolled back down over me to the bottom.

Oh well, tomorrow is Friday and will be a much better day. Well as long as Toshiba gets their thumb out of their @$$ and ships my new Chromebook like they said they would today. I am normally not a very patient person and when I order something almost 3 weeks ago, I get even more antsy, when the ship date comes. I double-checked with their customer service due to some strange things going on with my account being debited and then credited back the price of the Chromebook. Here it 3 hours later at 9:00 PM EST, I don't have a shipping confirmation email...well just one more thing to whine about today. :-)

Hey, finally something good happened, just as I was getting ready to publish this whine-fest, I got the email confirmation from Toshiba, that they have shipped my Chromebook. Now to get it (probably late next week) and see what all the Chromebook fanboys are talking about with this Toshiba. We will see if I like it better than the 5-550, which is working pretty damn good for a 4 year-old machine.

Time for bed, I have a feeling that tomorrow is going to be a doozy of a day.

0 Click Here to Comment:

Post a Comment

I moderate all comments and I apologize for using word verification, but the spam levels are ridiculous if I do not.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.