After a lot of thought and consideration -- I have decided to retire One Foot in Reality and leave it as an Archive. I will still monitor it to keep the trolls at bay, but will not be posting here any longer.

If you are looking for my new posts, please go to www.haroldlshaw.com .

Thank you for all they years of following One Foot In Reality.


Friday, March 4, 2016

Feeling Human Again and Surprise Treadmill Run - RunLog 3-3-16

This post was written for and first appeared on One Foot In Reality.

Finally, back to feeling like a human being.

What I saw when I woke up Wednesday after really getting hammered by the nasty buggies. Bennie keeping watch to ensure that no more of those nasties are able to attack the old fart.

One thing about working where I do, I get exposed to just about everything under the sun or that is making the rounds of the campus. Over the past couple of weeks I have been fighting (very heroically I might add - yeah right) a seemingly endless onslaught of nasty, vile bugs that want to put me down for the count.

They get me to one, two or three and then I battle up off the canvas. However, on Tuesday afternoon, while I was running on the treadmill, one of the little beasties sucker-punched me in the middle of the workout. I didn't even try to get back on and finish.

I made it through to the end of work, but called in sick Wednesday. The first sick day I have had in a long, long time. When I woke up it was like the body had been beaten with a bat and a horrible brain fog had taken over and there was no ability to focus or any energy to move. After doing a lot of sleeping in the chair that morning, around noon time, my temperature suddenly spiked and I went in, laid down on the bed (yeah, I really felt like shit) and fell asleep for about an hour.

Something happened during that hour, because when I woke up, the fog was gone the lassitude was over and whoever was swinging that bat had stopped and I simply felt weak -- there is a big difference.

The old body was up to the battle yet again and kicked the nasty buggies out -- at least until the next round.

So yesterday, I figured it would be a rest day.

Surprise, after an easy morning and a cold-ass walk outside in the sub-arctic winds (below zero wind chills), by the time it was 3:00 PM, my lunch time, I was feeling good enough to want to go do a run on the treadmill.

I don't have a LOT of time to get more than 3.0 miles in during my lunch so I started the run at 7.6 mph and figured that I could either slow it down or pick it up if was feeling good.

I kept picking up the speed, so that by the second mile I was up to 8.1 mph and the last mile I was up to race pace with a sub 7:00 pace for the last mile.

This time really surprised me, since I had felt so much like shit the day before! I really didn't think that I would have a workout like that, so quickly. Either I really am a crazy old bahstid or the old body is in better shape than I thought.

Oh well it does feel good to have clear eyes, no brain fog and just the usual aches pains that I know are a permanent part of me going forward.

Let's see how today goes and how many of the students come in sick for today's test sessions and expose me to even more of those nasty buggies that like to attack me.

Bring it on -- I will cope and keep running in spite of them.


  1. So much fun this winter! Seems like a constant stream of people being sick! My project manager has had a 'round trip' bug in his house - they all got sick in early Feb, and then again this past week it swept back through their house! It hit Lisa and Chris in our house the week before last (I avoided it!), and at work today there were 6 people (out of about 40) out with sickness or sick kids from our morning meeting! Ugh!

    Glad you're feeling better and got in a solid run! Good working your way back!

    1. Thanks Mike - for the most part it has been a few weeks of low-grade feeling like crap, with a couple of noticeable bad days. All I can is this is the best I have felt in a while - finally. It seems like this particular one lasts about 3 weeks and then hammers you and is suddenly is gone.

      At least that is how mine worked. It has been the same up here with people being sick. Hopefully with the longer days and warmer weather that people are able to get outside more and kill off the little nasties that keep hammering us. ;-)


I moderate all comments and I apologize for using word verification, but the spam levels are ridiculous if I do not.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.