Massage Therapy, Running all Equal a Good Day - 1-31-2020

Today I visited my massage therapist, Frank Brown (his Facebook page link). He did a lot of DEEP freaking tissue massage. Let me put it this way, I hate him while he is poking and prodding into the areas on my body that hurt like a sonofabitch, but when he is done and my body actually tends to work a lot better - I thank and pay him willingly for the pain and suffering that I had to endure.

Frank does good work, tells me why he is poking or prodding those areas and what is probably contributing to the reasons that I am visiting him. It seems that I am pretty consistent, the reason I went to him last time was my left hamstring and he reminded me that a lot of the issues my left leg have are because it is compensating for the leg length difference with the right leg and that after a while it just continues to have more problems when I don't do the things that I am supposed to do to keep the body moving correctly.

It will take a little longer for the hamstring strain, to straighten itself out, but the rest of the legs feel a lot better than they have in a while. I didn't realize how much discomfort other areas of my legs were in until I walked out of there today. I think he cleaned out a bit of the gunk and garbage that had accumulated in there for the past 3-4 years and woke up parts of the body that were snoozing past the alarm.

The only thing is that the deep tissue work is like going 10 rounds with a grizzly bear and I was plum worn-out when he got done with me. It is hard work letting somebody inflict pain and suffering on your body and not offering or doing the same to them or worse.

After eating a quick lunch, Bennie and I snoozed and for me, it was the sleep of nothing short of somebody coming up and shaking the hell out of me, was going to interrupt that slumber.

Before the massage therapy session, I did get in a nice workout.

.5 - Bennie walk. He didn't want to go past the speed limit sign again, which means that there are critters in the woods there that he is not too crazy about tangling with and wants to keep the old fella safe. Nice sunrise though.

1.5 - Bennie/Hunter walk. We went down to Blake, but after the big pine, the road got a bit icy, so we didn't want to go any farther.

Off to the gym

Runner's warm-up
50 squats
30 push-ups
50 crunches
2 x 20 bridges
2 x 10 single leg bridges
4 x 10 balance work on each leg

.30 @ 3.5 - warm-up

2.0 @ 6.2 mph -- The leg was feeling pretty good and I wanted to give it a touch more speed than yesterday. Everything felt pretty good until about 1.40, then at 1.5 miles I needed to make the mad dash to the locker room. However, I got back on and finished up the last .50 and thought about going longer, but I am really trying to get back to running and am not going to rush things too much. There is still some discomfort going on, but nowhere near as bad as it has been.
.30 @ 3.5 - cool-down

.9 Bennie walk
1.0 - Walk alone

Other than that it was a pretty quiet day. Although we had our usual Friday night homemade pizza and I had a hard Apple Cider. I could drink those instead of most beers pretty much all the time. Beer just doesn't do it for me like it used to. :-)

All I know is that I didn't realize how messed up my legs were until Frank finished up with me. All the muscles and ligaments around the hamstring strain were off-kilter too and they seem to be feeling a lot better than they were. The hamstring strain will take its own time to calm down some more, but I did schedule another appointment for next Thursday and while I am looking forward to the appointment, I also know that there is going to be pain involved and I am not all that crazy about that part. However, it is part of the process to break me down and rebuild me, to make me better than I was before.

Not quite a Six Million Dollar Man, but a helluva lot better than I was.

It should be interesting to see how I am feeling tomorrow.

 This post was written for and first appeared on One Foot In Reality.